What Are Summer Conferences?
Conference & Event Services (CES) offers assistance with youth, adult, academic and athletic groups on all three campuses at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
During the summer, CES provides affordable overnight housing in the Residence Halls and Apartments. While there are several types of groups that stay with us in the summer, the majority include New Student Orientation, Summer School, Research Undergraduate Experience programs, International Early Arrival Housing, Interns, youth athletic or academic camps, and adult conferences.
Working with partners across campus, CES Staff also guide client’s in their event planning process including dining options, venue space rentals, and parking to complement the conference, event, or camp needs.
There are two ways to apply:
- Respond to a job posting on the U of MN Employment website
- Directly emailing the Facilities Operation Supervisor in your building
What Is A Hospitality Specialist (HS)?
- Live on campus and work in Residential Hall or Apartment communities to support Conference & Event Services
- Provide customer service and guidance to our summer guests, enforce departmental policies, & troubleshoot challenges
- Work the information desk, provide tours, support building staff, & be on-call after-hours on a rotating schedule
This position is compensated with on-campus housing, a $2,500 value, and $9.65 per hour. You will have the opportunity to work 32-40 hours per week while refining your customer service experiences. The hospitality specialist position allows you to develop a sense of leadership while you collaborate with a small building staff, meet new people, and share the experiences of summer in Minneapolis.
What Is A Hospitality Business Specialist (HBS)?
- Assist the Business Operations Supervisor to facilitate summer conferences in on-campus Residential Halls & Apartments
- Complete administrative duties to support the Business Operations Supervisor & summer conferences
- Lead the Hospitality Specialist staff & support the management team of the building with special projects
This position is compensated $10.00 per hour (on campus housing is not included), and provides the opportunity to work closely with full-time staff, 32-40 hours per week. You will gain valuable leadership and administrative experiences, and work with a close staff team. This is a great time to experience Minneapolis during the summer, while meeting new people, increasing your customer service skills, and learning a ton!
Important Dates for HS/HBS
- December 1, 2017
- Applications Open
- February 2, 2018
- Notification of Interview Date, Time, and Location
- February 6-9, 2018
- February 12-23, 2018
- Second Round of Interviews
- March 2, 2018
- All Applicants Notified of Status
- March 5, 2018
- Deadline to Accept/Decline Position
- April 1, 2018
- HBS's Start Employment & In-Hall Training
- May 14, 2018
- HS's Move-In to Summer Space
- May 14-18, 2018
- All-Staff Mandatory Training
- July 10 - 28, 2018
- No Time-Off Allowed
- August 26, 2018
- Last Day of Work For All Summer Staff
Apply for HS/HBS
The summer staff application is open from December 1, 2017 through February 2, 2018 at 12:00pm. The Hospitality Specialist and Hospitality Business Specialist selection process requires all candidates to submit an application including the following:
- An updated resume
- A cover letter for the position(s) for which you are applying
- Participate in an interview between February 6, 2018 - February 9, 2018
If you have any questions regarding the application or any information listed, please contact Mariah Marx at email@example.com.