Cable & Streaming
All residents have access to UMN-TV from the day they move in (Twin Cities campus only). With it, you can watch 120+ high definition channels including HBO and sports networks via internet streaming as well as cable TV outlets,* and mobile applications from major broadcast networks.
Please note: Coaxial TV cables are not provided, so you will need to bring your own if you are not using a streaming device/computer.
* Cable TV outlets are not provided in Pioneer Hall. Review the information below for more details.
Powered by Comcast XFINITY On Campus (XOC)
120+ HD channels, including free access to HBO Max
Personal cloud DVR with 20 hours of storage
Accessible on TVs, computers, mobile devices, Roku devices and more
Live at Radius Apartments?
How do I watch?
How to Connect Your TV (streaming)
- Add the XFINITY Stream channel/app to your smart TV or Roku streaming device.
- Login to the XFINITY Stream app using your Internet ID and password.
- Start watching and enjoy!
Please note: For full access, you must connect to UMN internet. Some services may not work off-campus. Review "What can I watch where I am?" below.
How to Connect iOS & Android
How to Connect Your Television Through Cable
- Connect a coaxial cable from the wall outlet to the input on the back of your digital TV (note: you must provide your own cable).
- Scan for channels.
- Grab a snack or some homework and enjoy!
Please note: Set-top cable boxes are not required for viewing UMN-TV, but a TV with a digital tuner is required. If you have questions, review the Frequently Asked Questions listed below.
Cable television is not available in Pioneer Hall.
To access your favorite shows on UMN-TV, you will need a streaming device.
How to Watch Online
- Go to XFINITY On Campus
- Type “Minnesota” from the “Enter your school name” input.
- Log in using your Internet ID and password.
- Click the “Watch Now” or “Start Watching” button.
Please note: For full access, you must connect to UMN internet. Some services may not work off campus. Review the Streaming Locations below.
B1G+ On-Campus Access
Big Ten Plus (B1G+) is the Big Ten Network's home for live streaming and non-televised games and archived content, offering free on-campus access to B1G+ and ESPN3 events past, current, and future for all students and administrators of the Big Ten Conference.
As a University of Minnesota student living on campus with Housing & Residential Life, both of these links will work for you to stream content. Please note, you must be on campus to use them:
Frequently Asked Questions
Only residents in University residence halls and apartments can access HBO Max via XFINITY on Campus. If you experience difficulties logging in, please submit a Connect It request.
To log in to HBO Max:
- Visit play.hbomax.com. Click on "Sign In" at the top right of the screen.
- Click on "Sign in through TV or mobile provider."
- You will then be brought to the screen on the right. Click on "Xfinity".
- On the next page, go to the "XFINITY On Campus Student Sign In Here" button.
- On the following drop down, pick "University of Minnesota."
- You will then be directed to the University login page.
You can use a Roku device to watch streaming content, including your on-demand and recorded DVR content? Simply add the XFINITY Stream channel/app to your Roku & login to watch. Go to the Xfinity website for a list of compatible Roku devices.
The complete list of channels available through UMN-TV is listed in the Channel Guide. IT includes HBO, ESPN, and 120 other HD stations.
Other premium channels, sports packages, and additional content is not part of UMN-TV, but you can purchase them separately and have them billed directly to your personal credit card.
Information about additional channels can be found on the “Premium Video” tab on the XFINITY On Campus website.
Using your TV remote, select “Menu” and then select the “Auto-Setup” feature to scan for channels. Refer to your owner's manual for instructions. Make sure your TV is connected to the coaxial cable port in your room before scanning for channels.
For full access, you must be connected to the campus network - either wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Some features may not be accessible off campus, including streaming live TV. See the detailed list below
|Functionality||UMN Internet||Non-UMN Internet|
|Watch & Stream Live TV||Yes||No|
|Watch On Demand Shows & Movies||Yes||Yes|
|Watch Completed DVR Recordings||Yes||No|
|Watch In-Progress DVR Recordings||Yes||No|
|Schedule DVR Recordings||Yes||Yes|
|Watch Downloaded DVR Recordings||Yes||Yes|
|Watch TV GO Channels||Yes||Yes|
|Watch TV Everywhere Content (Network Apps)||Yes||Yes|
- Stream on one device at a time
- Register up to 40 devices
TV GO allows you to view a select number of channels while not connected to UMN internet.
- Login to UMN-TV Streaming
- Choose The Filter tab on the top right of the channel guide
- Select “Available Out of Home”
When available, On Demand movies or shows will display TV GO versions alongside the On Demand versions.
DVR is a personal cloud Digital Video Recorder included with UMN-TV Online. Using your DVR, you can record up to 20 hours of content. Recorded content can be watched on web browsers and on devices through iOS and Android apps.
Residents are permitted to bring external DVRs (like TiVo), but HOusing & Residential Life will not be able to provide support if you have problems.
- Record up to two programs at once
- Save up to 20 hours of DVR recordings
- Download DVR recordings and On Demand programs to mobile devices
- Watch DVR recordings even when not connected to the UMN network
- Schedule, change, and manage recordings
- Watch in-progress DVR recordings while connected to the UMN network
TV Everywhere gives you the freedom to watch television on the most convenient device wherever and whenever you want. It will work even when you are not connected to UMN internet, so you can use it to watch television while off-campus
To access TV Everywhere, you will use your UMN password/email to log into the provided by the network themselves. Many of these apps are available on streaming devices such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and PlayStation.
For example, if you want to watch ESPN on your Apple TV or iPhone, simply download the ESPN app from the Apple App Store and log in using your UMN credentials to XFINITY On Campus.
Are you having trouble accessing UMN-TV?
Before you ask for help, check that your cable (Ethernet or cable) is securely connected to both your television and the Ethernet/cable port. If you are still unable to connect to UMN-TV, submit a Connect It request.
Do not contact Comcast/Xfinity.