Cable & Streaming
The provider for UMN-TV changed from Comcast Xfinity to Apogee on June 14, 2023. This page has instructions for accessing the new service. Submit a Connect It request if you require support.
All residents have access to UMN-TV from the day they move in (Twin Cities campus only). With it, you can watch 80 high definition channels via internet streaming as well as cable (Coaxial) TV outlets,* and mobile applications from major broadcast networks.
Please note: Coaxial TV cables are not provided, so you will need to bring your own if you are not using a streaming device/computer.
* Cable TV outlets are not provided in Pioneer Hall. Review the information below for more details.
- Powered by Apogee
- 80 HD channels
- Personal cloud DVR with 20 hours of storage
- Accessible on TVs, computers, mobile devices, and most smart TV platforms
Live at Radius Apartments?
Radius has separate services for internet and TV that are not a part of the University network, preventing access to UMN-TV. You may access UMN-TV streaming services while in other areas of campus. The Radius channel lineup differs from the UMN-TV lineup.
Please note: A TV is provided in each apartment, but you will need to bring your own coaxial cable to connect to the TV services.
How do I watch?
How to Connect Your Television Through Cable
- Connect a coaxial cable from the wall outlet to the input on the back of your digital TV (note: you must provide your own cable).
- Scan for channels. (See Frequently Asked Questions below for further instructions)
Please note: Set-top cable boxes are not required for viewing UMN-TV, but a TV with a digital tuner is required. If you have questions, review the FAQ listed below.
Cable television is not available in Pioneer Hall. To access your favorite shows on UMN-TV, you will need a streaming device. See FAQ below for further details.
B1G+ On-Campus Access
Big Ten Plus (B1G+) is the Big Ten Network's home for live streaming and non-televised games and archived content, offering free on-campus access to B1G+ and ESPN3 events past, current, and future for all students and administrators of the Big Ten Conference.
As a University of Minnesota student living on campus with Housing & Residential Life, both of these links will work for you to stream content. Please note, you must be on campus to use them:
Frequently Asked Questions
Guidance can be found at http://z.umn.edu/rescan but you should refer to your owner's manual for specific instructions. Make sure your TV is connected to the coaxial cable port in your room before scanning for channels.
DVR is a personal cloud Digital Video Recorder included with UMN-TV Online. Using your DVR, you can record up to 20 hours of content. Recorded content can be watched on web browsers and on devices through iOS and Android apps.
Residents are permitted to bring external DVRs (like TiVo), but HOusing & Residential Life will not be able to provide support if you have problems.
- Record up to two programs at once
- Save up to 20 hours of DVR recordings
- Download DVR recordings and On Demand programs to mobile devices
- Watch DVR recordings even when not connected to the UMN network
- Schedule, change, and manage recordings
- Watch in-progress DVR recordings while connected to the UMN network