Welcome to Minnesota!
We work closely with our partners in International Student and Scholar Services to provide welcoming housing options for the University of Minnesota’s international community. You can choose to live in one of our residence halls or apartments for the academic year.
Early Arrival Housing
Prior to the start of the fall semester, temporary housing is available to all newly-admitted international students. Housing is available from July 23-August 25, 2023. No early arrival housing is available before the start of the spring semester.
Please Note: You must submit an Early Arrival Request prior to arriving to campus.
August 18 is the last day to submit a new reservation for International Early Arrival Housing.
Attention domestic students (students who will not have a F, J, or similar visa)
Due to space limitations, Early Arrival requests for domestic students are only approved for extenuating circumstances. If you cancel your housing contract, you will no longer be eligible for early arrival housing, and your request will also be canceled. You can use the link above to submit your request, and Housing will contact you with more information.
International Early Arrival Housing rooms include linens (bed sheets, blanket), towel, and pillow. Meals are not included in your room price.
Staying in International Early Arrival Housing cost $37 per night, per person. This cost will be charged and reflected on your student account in September.
- If you have a contract to live in a residential hall or on-campus apartment: You will be be charged from the date checked in through the start of your fall contract (your assigned move-in date).
- If you will live off campus: You will be charged for the dates you stay.
Once your request is approved, you will receive specific details about your check-in date and time. Our Information Desks are open 24 hours a day, and a staff member will be available to answer your questions.
What Information to Bring
Bring your University ID number, University email address, and/or your confirmation email when you check in.
Where to Go
International Early Arrival Housing will be located in Frontier Hall (701 Fulton Street Southeast, Minneapolis, MN, 55455). Please carefully read all of the communications sent to you to ensure you have accurate information. See below for specific Early Arrival instructions based on where you will live during the academic year.
If you will live in an on-campus apartment during the academic yaer (Keeler, Wilkins, Yudof, Radius):
- If you arrive before August 15: Go to Frontier Hall. You will live in a temporary space until your apartment contract starts on August 15.
- If you arrive on or after August 15: You may go directly to your assigned apartment building. Your housing contract begins on August 15.
If you will live in any residence hall:
- If you arrive before August 23: Go to Frontier Hall. You will live in a temporary space until you can move into your permanent assignment.
- If you arrive on or after August 23: You may go directly to your assigned residence hall.
If you will live off campus:
- Go to Frontier Hall. You will live in a temporary space until you can move into your off-campus housing. You must move out on or before August 25, 2023 before 7 p.m.
Your check-out time is dependent on where you will live during the school year. More information will be provided after you arrive.
If you will live in an on-campus apartment (Keeler, Radius, Wilkins, or Yudof):
Students who are assigned to live in an on-campus apartment can check out on August 15. Your housing contract begins then.
If you will live in a residential hall:
You may move into your permanent residence hall on your own on Tuesday, August 22, 2023 or Friday, August 25 if you need moving assistance.
If you will live off campus:
You must move out on or before August 25, 2023 before 7 p.m. No exceptions/extensions will be given.
Please note: Students moving off campus should be aware that many leases do not begin until the 1st of the month. You should contact your landlord (the person/company you are renting from) to determine if you will be able to move in after checking out from International Early Arrival Housing. If this is not possible, you will need to arrange additional temporary housing. We regret any inconvenience this may cause, but it is necessary so we can prepare our spaces for incoming residents.