All residents have access to high-speed Ethernet, WiFi for your devices, 120+ HD television channels (including HBO and sports networks), tech spaces available 24 hours a day, and inexpensive wireless printing. Additionally, all residence halls and apartments have dedicated tech staff who are available to help whenever you have problems.
You can review our Tech Services webpages to find everything you'll need to maximize these technology amenities both in your building and our entire residential community.
Tech in Your Room
Centers, Lounges & Labs
No matter what it is called in your building, our dedicated tech spaces are equipped with PC and Mac desktop computers, wireless internet, scanners, printers, and other peripherals that vary by building. All of the computers also have a variety of programs installed that are free to be used for coursework (review “Speciality Software” below).
Reminder: You will need your U Card to enter the tech spaces and print.
We're here to help!
Computer Center Coordinators assist with troubleshooting software and hardware problems, UMN-TV, and printing support, and they maintain the computer center in your building. Your CCC is available seven hours a week. If you have any tech-related issues, you can contact them by doing any of the following:
- Check the posted schedule in your building to find a time to stop in for help.
- Email them (contact info below in Meet Your CCC).
- Submit a Connect It request.
Interested in joining the CCC team? We're hiring! We will teach you what you need to know, so you don't need prior tech experience. Visit our Student Jobs webpage to learn more and apply.
You can email the CCC for your building using the email linked below.
By entering the computer center, you have agreed to accept all of the following computer policies:
- Care for the computer center, since it is part of your home. Keep the computers and work surfaces clean. Food and beverages are not allowed in the center.
- Damaging or stealing items from the Computer Center is a violation of our Community Behavior Standards. We have a limited budget for repairs, replacement of broken machines, and stolen parts. Don’t tamper with the locks on the machines.
- Do not change any configurations or setups on the computers.
- Save your files on Google Drive or a USB flash drive. Do not save anything directly on the computers.
- Academic users come first, so non-academic users should leave if all of the computers are taken and a resident says they need a computer for coursework.
- The computer center is not to be used for online gambling, viewing pornography, copying copyrighted materials, or engaging in other non-academic activities.
There are many programs installed on the computers in the tech lounges that are free to be used for coursework, including Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, and more), and Microsoft Office.
Residents cannot install additional programs on the computers in the computer center. If you need unique software for a class that is not available on the tech lounge computers, you may be able to install it on your personal computer.
Did you know? Registered UMN students also have access to Microsoft Office, Wolfram Alpha Pro, and other software for free or at a discounted rate. Learn more at it.umn.edu/obtain-software.
Our team can help with just about any issue inside your residence hall or apartment building. To submit a request, you should either visit your CCC during their available hours or submit a Fix It ticket.
If you need help while not in a residence hall/apartment, you should contact University Technology Help at 612-301-4357 (1-HELP) or [email protected]. They can answer questions about technology resources in other University spaces such as classroom buildings.
University Technology Training Center
Sharpen your computer skills or pick up new ones—for free.
Visit M Tech for discounts on Apple devices, Dell computers, Adobe software, and more.