• International Reception Center (IRC)

The International Reception Center (IRC) provides temporary on-campus housing available to all newly admitted international students before the start of the fall semester. The IRC does not provide housing prior to spring semester. The IRC is located in Frontier Hall and Centennial Hall on the Minneapolis East Bank campus. This housing is only available to students. Spouses and children are not eligible to stay at the IRC.

International students can stay at the IRC from July 15, 2016 until August 25-27, 2016. Your academic year housing assignment will determine your move-out date.

  • Housing Assignments in Territorial and Pioneer: You will move to your academic year housing assignment on Thursday, August 25 between 9:00AM-12:00PM.
  • Housing Assignments in 17th Avenue Residence Hall, Bailey Hall, Sanford Hall, Middlebrook Hall, and Comstock Hall: You will move to your academic year housing assignment on Friday, August 26 between 9:00AM-12:00PM. Transportation and moving help will be available.
  • Students without Academic Year Housing Assignments: You must move out of your IRC space by 8:30AM on Saturday, August 27.

The cost of staying at the IRC is $24 per night, per person. This cost will be charged to your student account.

Rooms at the IRC include linens including bed sheets, blanket, towel and a pillow. Meals are NOT included in your room price. If you wish to eat in Fresh Food Company located in 17th Ave Residence Hall dining centers, you may pay in cash or in FlexDine.

You may make a reservation in the IRC beginning June 2, 2016 by clicking on the "Make a Reservation" button below. 

Make A Reservation


International Reception Center Check In

Students using the IRC must check in at Frontier Hall, located at 701 Fulton Street Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota OR at Centennial Hall, located at 614 Delaware Street Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Transportation from the airport can be arranged through Boynton Health Services, Gopher Chauffer, an international student group at the University, or by taking a shuttle or taxi. For more information about transportation, please visit the arrival website.


Students with Residence Hall Contracts

If you need to move to campus prior to August 25, you should complete the IRC reservation process. If Frontier Hall or Centennial Hall is not your assigned residence hall during the academic year, you will move to your assigned residence hall on Thursday, August 25. If you use the IRC and have a housing contract for fall/spring, inform the front desk when you check in. If you have an on-campus apartment contract (Wilkins, University Village, Yudof), you can move into your assigned space beginning on August 15.


Other Temporary Housing Options

Temporary Rooms

At other times of the year, you can visit the off-campus housing website for a listing of our temporary housing options in the Twin Cities area.

Limited temporary housing is also available on campus under the Summer Guest Housing Program from June 3 through mid-August. This is an option for spouses and children who are not eligible for the IRC.

For more information about housing at the University of Minnesota, contact Housing & Residential Life at:

Comstock Hall - East

210 Delaware Street SE

Minneapolis, MN 55455

Telephone: 612-624-2987

Email: housing@umn.edu

Hotels and Motels Near the Minneapolis Campus

Additional Resources

International Student & Scholar Services Website

What to Bring

Gopher Chauffeur

Metro Transit

New International Student Guidebook to Campus