Welcome to your new home!
August 3, 2022 update: We sent out housing assignments and move-in appointment invitations. Check your UMN or personal email for an update! If you have questions, please review our Move-In Checklist or email [email protected].
Welcome to the University of Minnesota.
We are thrilled that you have decided to join our on-campus Gopher community. We want you to be prepared for Move-In as it is a fast-moving (and often emotional) day. Our team prides itself on an efficient and organized Move-In process.
Do you have questions?
Are you wondering what to bring with you when you first move in? Or what you can expect on move-in day?
We have answers to all of the questions we receive most frequently in our Move-in Guide and Move-In Checklist. You can also feel free to contact us. We've helped countless students prepare to move in, so we are happy to help!
Here is a summary of some of the information you will need to know about Move-In, and you can find more details on the other pages in this section.
- Remember there are 7,000 students moving in before the start of the semester. Please be patient with other drivers/families and our staff and volunteers. Move-In is a time of high emotions—mostly excitement but also nervousness and uncertainty (for both students and their families).
- Housing assignments are sent at the end of July, and residents will receive an email in early August about how to sign up for a Move-In time. Please confirm your availability before making a reservation, and only arrive during your reserved time.
- Focus on only bringing essentials at first, and check with your roommate(s) about what they plan to bring. You can always buy/bring more things after you are moved in, so waiting will mean you can save space, avoid unnecessary expenses, and reduce the number of trips you will need to make when first arriving.
- Only bring one vehicle, and DO NOT bring a trailer or oversized vehicle. They do not fit in our available parking.
- If you are a first-year student moving into a residence hall on August 29 or 30: We will have volunteers at the residence halls to help with Move-In. Please follow their directions as this will move quickly (our goal is for you to arrive, check-in, and unload your vehicle in 10-15 minutes). After everything is unloaded, one of your helpers should move your vehicle to long-term parking, and they can return to help with arranging your room or celebrating/saying goodbye.
- If you are moving into an apartment or arriving on a different day: You and your helper(s) will be responsible for moving your belongings into your space without assistance. To minimize congestion, please fully load the moving carts we provide so you can reduce the number of trips you need to take.
- We start accepting packages for incoming residents on August 25. Mailing items is a useful option for reducing how much you need to bring in all at once.